Now in its 39th season, Music Alive! is a unique educational music magazine and listening program developed for music classes in Grades 5 through 10.
More similar to music magazines on the newsstands than traditional educational fare, Music Alive! grabs the attention of teenagers across the country. It is, truly, music education for today’s generation.
The magazine brings the excitement and breadth of the music world into the classroom, covering every genre from classical to rap, from bluegrass to bebop. Our cover story profiles a current, charting performer; artists recently featured on our cover have included Ariana Grande, Marshmello, Kane Brown, Sabrina Carpenter, The Jonas Brothers, Clean Bandit and Lauren Daigle. Regular features also cover world music, film music, orchestras and smaller ensembles, music-related technology, careers in music, and special achievements by music students.
Music Alive! is published eight times per school year and provides an integrated three-component package:
- The Student Magazine is a 24-page full-color publication containing feature articles on diverse artists and genres, developed to engage the attention of ‘tweens and teens.
- The accompanying Teacher’s Guide contains full lesson plans keyed to the National Core Arts Standards and literacy reinforcement.
- Access to the Teacher Resources section of musicalive.com includes music selections and ancillary content tied to each magazine’s articles.
Music Alive! uses the life-changing power of music to inspire ‘tweens and teens to be passionate learners. That mission has inspired our publication for 39 years and it continues to drive us forward.
In service of this mission, the Music Alive! magazine and listening program positively impacts music education in five fundamental ways:
- We close the gap between the contemporary world of music and the music classroom.
- We deliver standards-based music education via materials that are uniquely exciting to teenage students.
- We partner with music teachers in the effort to enhance students’ classroom music experience.
- We expand students’ awareness and appreciation of musical styles and genres, music history, music-related technology, and careers in music.
- We join forces with like-minded music industry organizations and companies for the creation of legislative, philanthropic, and public relations initiatives that support music education.